Tuesday 3 April 2012

Food for thought!


I've just returned from another morning with Rony Robinson on BBC Radio Sheffield. Today we discussed one of my random previous jobs as a Pokemon Trainer, A levels and school dinners. A strange combination of subjects indeed!  


I have to admit, I got totally carried away with the school dinner topic.   I was one of those strange kids who actually loved school dinners, in fact it was my second most favourite  part of the day, the first being home time! Anyone remember “superglue” the pastry based desert, layered with jam then a sticky pink marshmallow topping? We used to whack our spoons on the top, which then fused the two parts together. I would then spend the next ten minutes pretending to launch the desert at my mates and vice versa - much to the demon dinner ladies disgust. When the threat of lines and sitting on the hall floor through break finally came, there would be a few minutes of silence, whilst we began scraping our teeth against the spoon to remove all traces of this totally awesome treat. 



Other favorites were Caramel tart, chocolate and vanilla shortbread Catherine Wheels with lumpy chocolate custard and pink lumpy custard with a square of sponge with white icing on - and who could forget the legendary cheese pie, chips and beans.....yummy!


 See, I do have some happy memories of school after all!

2 comments:

  1. i loved them too!!!!!!! but i look like i loved them haha x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm cheese pie! My Fav was cheese and rice croquets though!

    ReplyDelete